John,

On 4/23/20 15:19, John Larsen wrote:
> Ah doing ROOT.war is my pet peeve. I find this bad practice. Its
> nice to have ROOT especially when the developer insists theres
> something wrong with tomcat when really its their webapp. Having
> ROOT intact, can show that by removing their webapp and tomcat
> works.

But you are replacing the application with context path "" (empty, not
"/") with your own, anyway. It doesn't really matter HOW you do it.

If you want to demonstrate that Tomcat works without the offending
application, just remove ROOT.war and ... you are done.

> As for "/" vs "" - not sure that would solve the problem - i mean
> logically it doesnt make sense, but I will give it a try.

I'm not sure if it will fix your problem (unlikely, as your problem
was with deployment mechanics and not anything Tomcat was doing), but
the proper context path for the ROOT web application is "" (empty),
not "/".

- -chris