From: Bill Barker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: July 10, 2006 11:44 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Running Tomcat Embedded

"Mike Wannamaker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>I wish to run Tomcat from within my own JVM.  I would like it to run just
> like Tomcat does today, however I'd just like to setup the various paths,
> for like web app root directory, config directory, lib directory etc....
>
> Is there anyway to do this easily?  Like I said I just want to create an
> instance of Tomcat/Catalina and setProperties(...); and then call start();
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Most people use Embedded
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/catalina/docs/api/org/apache/catali
na/startup/Embedded.html)
since it at least has some documentation.  Commons-modeler has a simple (if
slightly out of date :) example of how to embed Tomcat using JMX.  This is
useful if you want Tomcat to run in a different ClassLoader than the rest of

your application (and at least personally, I find it easier to use).

In either case, you need to set the properties on the sub-components (e.g.
Engine, Host, Contex(s)) yourself, so you are responsible for creating them.