вс, 10 мая 2020 г. в 22:20, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:

> On May 10, 2020 11:31:02 AM UTC, calder <calder....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
> >I asked the DevOps person about the error - turns out it was a
> >SAXParseException when using the & char in the string.
>
> That is standard XML. You have to escape reserved characters in the XML.

+1.

XML is a data format.

> > He vaguely
> >remembers a shell issue with the bang char.
>
> I think he is mistaken. There is no issue using ! in XML.
>
> There are no limitations on the characters for the shutdown password. You
> might need to encode some of them to define the password in XML but that is
> all.

Control characters (e.g. CR, LF:  &#13; and &#10;) - anything with
code less than whitespace(32) and the character with code 127 cannot
be used. Anything else can be.

For reference, the await loop that waits for the shutdown command:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/blob/master/java/org/apache/catalina/core/StandardServer.java#L596

Note lines 546-548:
if (ch < 32 || ch == 127) {
break;