Hi --

While testing various scenarios in Tomcat 9.0.30, I’ve found Tomcat returns
different responses when the same request is issued twice in a row.  I have
three such scenarios (all related) to illustrate.  I used Postman to issue
the requests.

First, here is some environment information:

Operating System: Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

Http Client: Postman 7.24.0

Relevant Automatic/Hidden headers for Postman:

Cache-Control: no-cache

Accept: */*

Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, br

Connection: keep-alive

Java version: 1.8.0_221

All of these scenarios are on fresh install of Tomcat 9.0.30 with default
port of 8080.

Note: In each of the following scenarios, the steps must be done fairly
quickly one right after the other with no delay.  Please also stop and
restart Tomcat in between each scenario.

Steps for First Scenario:

   1.

   In Postman, issue PUT request to invalid url, such as
   http://localhost:8080/thisisnotvalid.  Ensure Content-Length header is
   sent with value 12345.  Ensure the request has a request body that is a
   file attached with size >= 26545 bytes.  In Postman, I marked it with
   binary radiobutton.  I receive response with 405 (Method Not Allowed)
   status and HTML in the body.
   2.

   In Postman, issue GET request to http://localhost:8080/thisisnotvalid.
   Ensure Content-Length header is sent with value 12345.  The request must
   NOT have a body (in Postman I marked it with none radiobutton).  I receive
   response with 404 (Not Found) status and HTML in the body.
   3.

   In Postman, issue GET request to http://localhost:8080/thisisnotvalid.
   Ensure Content-Length header is sent with value 12345.  Ensure the request
   has a request body that is a file attached with size >= 26545 bytes (yes on
   a GET request).  In Postman, I marked it with binary radiobutton.  NOTE: I
   receive 400 (Bad Request) response and HTML in the body.  This is NOT
   expected.
   4.

   Issue same request in (3) again, and now I receive response with 404
   (Not Found) status and HTML in the body as expected.  Continuing to issue
   the request again seems to return 404 response as expected hereafter.

Note that after step (3), I see the following exception trace in
catalina.out:

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service Error parsing HTTP request
header

 Note: further occurrences of HTTP request parsing errors will be logged at
DEBUG level.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid character found in method name.
HTTP method names must be tokens

at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11InputBuffer.parseRequestLine(Http11InputBuffer.java:415)

at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:260)

at
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:65)

at
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:860)

at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1598)

at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)

at

at

at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Steps for Second Scenario:

   1.

   In Postman, issue GET request to invalid url, such as
   http://localhost:8080/thisisnotvalid.  Ensure Content-Length header is
   sent with value 1.  Ensure the request has a request body that is a text
   file attached containing 4 a’s in it as the only content (yes on a GET
   request).  I receive response with 404 (Not Found) status and HTML in the
   body.
   2.

   Issue same request in (1) again, and now the server responds with 501
   (Not Implemented) status and HTML in the body.  This is NOT expected.
   3.

   Issue same request in (1) again, and now it responds again with 404
   error as expected. Continuing to issue the same request will continue to
   alternate server responding with 404 and 501.

Note: The alternating responses don’t occur when Content-Length header is
not present.

Note: The following lines can be seen in localhost_access_log:

0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 - - [25/Jun/2020:13:51:17 -0700] "GET /thisisnotvalid
HTTP/1.1" 404 723

0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 - - [25/Jun/2020:13:51:18 -0700] "aaaGET /thisisnotvalid
HTTP/1.1" 501 731

0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 - - [25/Jun/2020:13:51:21 -0700] "GET /thisisnotvalid
HTTP/1.1" 404 723

0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 - - [25/Jun/2020:13:51:22 -0700] "aaaGET /thisisnotvalid
HTTP/1.1" 501 731

Steps for Third Scenario:

   1.

   In Postman, issue GET request to invalid url, such as
   http://localhost:8080/thisisnotvalid.  Ensure Content-Length header is
   sent with value 12345.  The request must NOT have a body (in Postman I
   marked it with none radiobutton).  I receive response with 404 (Not Found)
   status and HTML in the body.
   2.

   Issue same request in (1) again, and now the server does not respond.
   This is NOT expected.
   3.

   Issue same request in (1) again, and now it responds again with 404
   error as expected. Continuing to issue the same request will continue to
   alternate server not responding and server returning 404 error.

Note: The alternating responses don’t seem to occur when Content-Length
header is not present.

I’ve debugged the code numerous times, and while not claiming to fully
understand it, the following proposed change seems to alleviate the
unexpected results from the scenarios above.

Proposed change:

   1.

   In conf/server.xml, change the original 8080 Connector configuration to
   use a custom protocol class.

   The original Connector configuration is:
   <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"

          connectionTimeout="20000"

          redirectPort="8443" />

The updated Connector configuration:
<Connector port="8080"
protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.MyHttp11Nio2Protocol"

          connectionTimeout="20000" />

   1.

   Create a Java web application with a module called mytomcat.  In the src
   folder, create org.apache.coyote.http11 package with three classes:
   MyHttp11InputBuffer, MyHttp11Nio2Protocol, and MyHttp11Processor.  Note:
   The overridden endRequest() method in MyHttp11InputBuffer seems to
   alleviate the unexpected results.  Note that MyHttp11Processor is
   essentially the same as Http11Processor (it was decompiled by the IDE from
   the jar), except one difference: the inputBuffer in the constructor is set
   to an instance of MyHttp11InputBuffer.  The source for these files are
   below at the end of the message.

   2.

   Ensure the class files for the source files in step (2) get placed in

PATHTOAPACHE/apache-tomcat-9.0.30/webapps/reproducer/WEB-INF/mytomcat_classes.
   PATHTOAPACHE must be replaced with the parent directory of
   apache-tomcat-9.0.30 folder, and the folders in the path must be created as
   necessary.
   3.

   Edit conf/catalina.properties to update common.loader property.  Add

"PATHTOAPACHE/apache-tomcat-9.0.30/webapps/reproducer/WEB-INF/mytomcat_classes"
   at the end and save.  PATHTOAPACHE must be substituted as in step (3).
   4.

   Shutdown and restart Tomcat.

With the changes above, rerunning the scenarios now give expected results.

Scenario One with proposed change:

   1.

   I receive response with 405 (Method Not Allowed) status and HTML in the
   body
   2.

   I receive response with 404 (Not Found) status and HTML in the body.
   3.

   I receive response with 404 (Not Found) status and HTML in the body.
   Note that this result is updated
   4.

   I receive response with 404 (Not Found) status and HTML in the body.

Scenario Two with proposed change:

   1.

   I receive response with 404 (Not Found) status and HTML in the body.
   2.

   I receive response with 404 (Not Found) status and HTML in the body.
   Note that this result is updated
   3.

   I receive response with 404 (Not Found) status and HTML in the body.

Scenario Three with proposed change:

   1.

   I receive response with 404 (Not Found) status and HTML in the body.
   2.

   I receive response with 404 (Not Found) status and HTML in the body.
   Note that this result is updated
   3.

   I receive response with 404 (Not Found) status and HTML in the body.

Would you please give guidance on whether the scenarios outlined are indeed
unexpected, whether the proposed change is appropriate, etc?

Thanks,

Fabian

==========================

Source file for MyHttp11InputBuffer:

package org.apache.coyote.http11;

import org.apache.coyote.Request;
import org.apache.tomcat.util.http.parser.HttpParser;

import java.io.IOException;

public class MyHttp11InputBuffer extends Http11InputBuffer {
private final MyHttp11Processor processor;

public MyHttp11InputBuffer(MyHttp11Processor processor,
Request request,
int headerBufferSize,
boolean rejectIllegalHeaderName,
HttpParser httpParser) {
super(request, headerBufferSize, rejectIllegalHeaderName, httpParser);

this.processor = processor;
}

@Override
void endRequest() throws IOException {
getByteBuffer().limit(0).position(0);
}
}
==========================

Source file for MyHttp11Nio2Protocol:

package org.apache.coyote.http11;

import org.apache.coyote.Processor;

public class MyHttp11Nio2Protocol extends Http11Nio2Protocol {
    @Override
    protected Processor createProcessor() {
        return new MyHttp11Processor(this, this.adapter);
    }
}

Source file for MyHttp11Processor:

//
// Source code recreated from a .class file by IntelliJ IDEA