I'm setting up an environment that has the potential for a large number of simultaneous requests coming in.   I have a basic Apache HTTPD with mod_jk talking to Tomcat, all on the same Amazon EC2 instance.  From my understanding, I have the potential of maxing out connections at httpd, at mod_jk, and also at Tomcat.  We are looking at setting up monitors to track all of this.  But I don't want to reinvent the wheel if there are others who have created solutions for this.  Is there documentation on guidelines for configuring connections on all three so that they work together smoothly?  We are setting up load-balancing on Amazon that will launch another EC2 instance if one EC2 get overwhelmed.  But that is obviously dependent upon accurately tracking and recognizing that the EC2 is indeed becoming overwhelmed.  Any advice on where to start with this?

Thanks.

Jerry