On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 2:26 AM Hans Schou wrote:

"document" manually? Like copy&paste into a text file?

Yes, however you customarily do so.

> > 2. If you used Apache's Windows installer, uninstall it (unfortunately
> this removes the service and service configuration info).
>
> I use the zip file version, roughly I do this:
>   CD D:\Apache
>   unzip apache-tomcat-9.0.37.zip
>   MKLINK /D tomcat-9.0 apache-tomcat-9.0.37
> And then I make all my instances have CATALINA_BASE=D:\Apache\tomcat-9.0
> so I can minor upgrade several instances at the same time just by changing
> the symlink (services must be stopped first).

Sounds like you have a fairly robust procedure already in place, and the
alternative installer may not provide too much benefit.

> 1. Update the timestamps of the config files you don't want the installer
> to overwrite.
>
> Is this necessary when using zip-package?

That depends on where you extract the files and if your unzip tool is set
to skip or overwrite newer files when extracting.