Phil,

On 8/3/20 21:43, Phil Steitz wrote:

> On 7/24/20 10:46 AM, Christopher Schultz wrote: All,
>
> I have a JNDI <Resource> which is a JDBC DataSource. It is set to
> singleton="true" via defaults (not explicitly set).
>
> The JDBC Connections in this DataSource pool (using dbcp2 as
> provided by Tomcat) have TLS configuration including client
> certificates, trusted server certificates, etc.
>
> I'd like to be able to "bounce" the DataSource so that each
> Connection is re-established in order to pick-up any new TLS
> configuration -- specifically, reloading the key store and trust
> store for the connection .
>
> What's the best way to do that?
>
>> Do you want the connections that are checked out to clients to
>> be force-closed, so they will get exceptions when they try to use
>> them, or are you OK waiting until they get returned to the pool?

Waiting is totally fine for me. The idea is to rotate a TLS
certificate in advance of its expiration. I would expect that quite a
long grace period would be tolerable (like 24 hours), but my
application only uses db connections for a few ms at a time before
returning them.

Others may have other expectations or requirements.

>> If you are OK being kind to clients, there is an enhancement
>> request pending for DBCP
>> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBCP-559)
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBCP-559> that might do
>> what you want.  I  have not tested this, but I suspect that BDS
>> closed followed by "open" (new method proposed, to be
>> JMX-exposed) would cause idle connections to be closed
>> immediately, checked out to be closed when they come back and new
>> ones to be created in a new pool created by the open request.

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Subject to the JDBC
driver and DriverManager also playing along, of course.

>> If you really need to kill them all immediately, that would (as
>> Mark said) require an invalidateAll or somesuch method added to
>> commons pool, then exposed by DBCP as maybe closeAll.

Agreed, but not important for me as of yet.

Thanks!