I'm finally back on this problem.

We are once again having SSL difficulties with our webapp connecting
with an outside web service: the java.security override that had solved
the problem in the past (specifically, removing "DESede" from the
"jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms" in an override file) is now failing with
certain Java 8 JVMs on AS/400s.

More specifically, the call is to
    https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode

Last month, I got a suggestion (on the Midrange Java List, but endorsed when I asked about it here) of adding "-Djavax.net.debug=ssl:handshake" to catalina.sh.

Today, I finally tried it. It took several tries before I got anything at all, but when I did, I got 678k of information. Any suggestions on where my proverbial needle would be in that haystack, and what it would look like?

Also today, I tried the "sledgehammer" approach of editing the JVM's own java.security instead of merely overriding it. No difference.

--
JHHL