From: Martin Grigorov <mgrigo...@apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 1:18 AM
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: Re: HTTP2: Tomcat sends GOAWAY when trying to respond over a stream
where the client has already sent RST_STREAM:NO ERROR

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 7:56 PM Arshiya Shariff
<arshiya.shar...@ericsson.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The client has configured a response timeout of 1.5 seconds. In a case
> when our application tries to respond over a http2 stream
> asynchronously after 2 seconds where the client has already sent
> RST_STREAM with NO ERROR in 1.5 seconds

Why does the client send NO_ERROR to the server ? I think it should send a
CANCEL instead.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7540 mentions NO_ERROR only for "Graceful
shutdown of the server".

> (due to no response) , then tomcat sends GOAWAY and closes the HTTP2
> connection . Is this behavior of GOAWAY and connection closure expected ?
> We have planned to upgrade to Embedded tomcat version 9.0.38 . These
> are the behaviors we see in production with version 9.0.22 ,  so we
> need some help with analyzing / validating  the existing behavior before the
> upgrade .
> Please let us know.

Friendly advice:
Please setup 9.0.38 locally and test on it.
9.0.22 is way too old. It is up to you to use it for your production but for
reporting bugs it is recommended to use the latest available version.
I, personally, prefer to spend my spare time with my family and friends than to
debug old versions just because the user doesn't bother to test on a newer
version.