James,

On 11/5/20 12:07, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
I'm intrigued by Mr. Schultz's suggestion of

Maybe you just want RedirectPermanent instead of
Rewrite(Cond|Rule)?

Would that make a difference? Or is it just a matter of altering the RewriteCond clause to specifically ignore anything that looks like a Let's Encrypt challenge? Or is there something I can put on the default landing page for the subdomain, rather than in the VirtualHost, to cause the redirection?

I'm just thinking that Redirect[*] is a simpler configuration than Rewrite(Cond|Rule).

As I recall (unless there's a way to force-expire the cached challenge result on a certbot call), I have to wait until December to run another test.

You can delete all your stuff, but LE will get upset if you make requests too frequently. There is a way to ask LE to let you "test" stuff and they will lower the frequency limits. I have forgotten how to do that, but it might be a good idea to look into it since you really are testing things at this point.

-chris