Rob,

On 12/3/20 17:46, Rob Sargent wrote:
Again, much appreciated feedback.  (I never think what I'm doing is all that special)

At this point, the fact that you are using embedded Tomcat is really just a detail that doesn't affect the greater question of how to manage your complex database pooling needs.

Though two concurrent users would really be "wildly successful", each of those users will fire up hundreds (thousands if we get permission/capacity) of EC2 instances and start pounding the db, so I think connection pooling is in order.

What do those EC2 instances actually do? Do they connect to your application (which connects to the db), or do they connect directly to the db?

I contemplated managing my own pools but didn't want

 - the hassle of resetting the "search_path" for each connection if I used a single (initial) user (if I stuck with the tomcat pooler)

 - the overhead in terms of both my own code and actual resource consumption(minimum connection held etc)

I would highly recommend that you abstract this away from your application with some kind of utility method like:

public Connection getConnection(whatever args you need);

Then you can change that method to do whatever is necessary. Maybe it's determine which pool to use, and use it. Maybe it's create a new connection every single time. Maybe it's a mixture of the two.

so I switched to the dbcp2 PerUserPoolDataSourceFactory in the hope that the lookup for an available connection happens after I reset the user/db

I think Phil said that doesn't work. You can call getConnection(username,password) but it won't pool those connections. I haven't read the code, but I suspect that is what happens.

If you need to switch *databases*, there really is no way to do that. Besides, you'd never want to restrict yourself to using the *same* database connection(s) for more than one database, would you? You'd never be able to separate the databases onto separate servers, clusters, etc.

I seem to recall that tomcat-pool can actually do this, but maybe it just implements the API and also just hands you a fresh connection every time with your username and password. (i.e. not actually pooling).

(Recall that with postgres a db is just part of the same physical server, of which there will be only one and for me a user is associated with only one database.)

Maybe you want to consider a multi-tenant database (tablespace/schema/etc.) instead of having a distinct one for each customer.

Another option would be to spin-up a separate application (instance) for each customer, each with its own one-and-only-one db connection pool.

Really great to hear that lookup() is not my biggest concern;)

;)

-chris

Rob,