All,

I'm sorry for using users@ as my own personal Google but I'm sure someone knows this off the top of their head and can save me a lot of reading.

I'm wondering about which specs mention how to handle URL parameters (and POST parameters, for that matter) in terms of ordering. For example, if I have a URL like:

https://example.com/context/resource?a=1&b=2&c=3&a=6

(Note that I have "a" in there twice)

If I call request.getParameterNames(), is there a predictable order in which those parameters will be handed back? I'd love to hear that not only are they returned in "URL order" (that is, the left-most parameter is the first returned in that enumeration) in Tomcat, but either the servlet spec, the CGI spec, or some other spec dictates that order explicitly.

Similarly, if I use request.getParameterMap and than iterate through the keys or Map.Entry objects in it, does that behave predictably as well?

I have a situation where both URL parameters and POST parameters being in URL-order (or document-order for POST parameters) would be highly convenient, but I'd like to know if I can actually *rely* on that behavior, or if I have to make arrangements to provide the ordering in a separate parameter.

I'd like to know which specs mention these things if they are indeed specified in any of them.

Thanks in advance,
-chris