I think this is where you need to wrap your apps into Docker images :)

See this base image for example:
https://hub.docker.com/r/atomgraph/letsencrypt-tomcat
It configures server.xml by using an XSLT stylesheet and environmental
parameters:
https://github.com/AtomGraph/letsencrypt-tomcat/blob/master/entrypoint.sh#L134

And this image extends it and adds the webapp (as ROOT) in a two-stage
build: https://github.com/AtomGraph/LinkedDataHub/blob/master/Dockerfile#L139

Hope it helps.