Thank you Mark.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark H. Wood <mw...@iupui.edu>
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2021 7:42 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: tomcat timeout

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 08:25:12PM +0000, Mohamed Eliyas Abdul Kadar wrote:
> I am generating report for a year, normally this takes 5 mins on weblogic
> server. We are migrating to tomcat and it does not show any error. In
> developer tools I see timeout for that request.

I faced a similar issue some time ago, and decided that it was an application
design error.  I introduced a progress meter that polls periodically until the
report generation completes or fails and, incidentally, gives the user an
indication that service of the request is proceeding and has not simply hung or
been dropped.

Other possibilities:

o  The request causes a background thread to generate the report and
   email it when complete.

o  A first request causes the report to be generated in a holding
   area, perhaps sending an email when completed; a second request
   fetches the completed report.

I decided that just lengthening timeouts was a losing strategy, because these
particular reports can be requested over any portion of a record set that
steadily grows in size, and can thus take longer to generate every month.  Your
situation may be different.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library
755 W. Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
317-274-0749
www.ulib.iupui.edu
This communication and its attachments contain confidential information and is
intended only for the named addressee. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this communication. Please notify
the sender immediately if you have received this communication by mistake and
delete or destroy this communication. Communications cannot be guaranteed to be
secured or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost,
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this
communication which arise as a result of transmission. If verification is
required please request a hard-copy version. NeoGenomics Laboratories, 12701
Commonwealth Dr, Fort Myers, FL 33913, http://www.neogenomics.com (2021)