Hi Chris,

> "nah, nobody still uses Struts 1.x".
I wouldn't put it past this 14 year old application ...

> But at this point, if you have things working, you can probably stop.
My OCD says Nooooo!, but my pragmatic side says "leave it until I have to
change"

> But something is *definitely* wrong if changing the default file encoding
> causes your files to be corrupted. It is *extraordinarily* unlikely that
> Tomcat or Struts is doing this. It is much more likely to be your application
> somewhere writing to a Writer instead of a Stream.

Whilst I haven't explored every class in detail, the classes I have been
working with are the first (of my code) to receive the requests and the data
I'm getting is already corrupted. For example, there's nothing in my
application code which writes to a temporary file as part of this process. My
code writes the data to an Oracle database, binding as a binary (RAW) value.

Thanks,
Tim