Chris,

</snip>

Yeah, about that...

https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/411

IMO this is a Bad Thing for Java. If someone was looking for a reason to abandon the whole Java ecosystem, this would be it. Well, we had a good run.

Now we can all run node.js, Python, or Go where security is not a problem because the languages are "safe" so nothing Bad can happen, right? *facepalm*

Safe all the way down... including type safety :-p

</snip>

For now, Tomcat can rely on the SecurityManager doing its job. That means we only need to rely on the encapsulation strategies the language and the standard library provide, which are (currently) sufficient.

I will try to come up with a solution that uses defensive copying whenever possible. That will include a couple of hard-coded special cases as well as try to use Serializable if available. I will not consider Cloneable due to the risk of shallow copies.

If none of the tried methods will work, getAttribute(String name) should return the result of the object's toString() method. We'll likely "loose" some of the requested attributes that way but, need not care about preventing reflection with a (soon missing) SecurityManager.

Carsten