This confirms something that I was thinking originally, which is that we
have no good reason to have both in setenv.sh. I'm pretty sure that these
were both mentioned in various pieces of documentation from the application
vendor. Their documentation tends to be less than stellar. Combine bad
documentation with app admins that are completely unfamiliar with tomcat...
and you get messy setups. Unfortunately, there are more of them than me, so
I have to have ALL of my facts straight before I go into battle.

Thanks for this additional information. It is much appreciated.