Mark, thank you for your efforts so far.

> Other questions that come to mind:
>
> 1. Was the network trace created from a client connected directly to
> Tomcat or was there a proxy / firewall / something else between the
> client and Tomcat?

Tomcat is running on the company network to which I'm connected
through company mandated VPN and who knows what else
equipment there is between me and Tomcat's VM.

Your question made me think: what if I try from a browser installed
on another VM on the company network? So I did from two different
machines and bingo ... the problem does not manifest itself.
Maybe I need to have a word with our IT....?

> 2. Where was the trace collected from? On the client? On the server?
> Somewhere else?

Trace was collected on the client.