On 26/07/2021 12:13, Coty Sutherland wrote:
Hi all,

I'm curious about whether or not we have/can get some information about the
usage of Tomcat out in the wild. Things like download count across various
versions (including archived version downloads) for the last few years, svn
history and GitHub stats, project website visitors, committer numbers (and
some other info which I can get from the regular board reports), counts of
tomcat-users list unique topics, etc. I'd like to compile data into a
community interest report (or something like that) and try to draw some
insights on which way the Tomcat project is trending. I would also be
looking to include adoption outside of just the vanilla ASF distro, like
the most popular Tomcat Docker container, Ansible collection, tomcat
package downloads from any OS that has the data available, etc.

Does anyone think that such a report has value? Is there already something
like this in existence somewhere (there is an annual jrebel technology
report like https://www.jrebel.com/blog/2020-java-technology-report which
is pretty cool, but it's a survey)? Feel free to tell me that this
undertaking has little value and I can move on to something else :)
Thoughts?

In no particular order.

There is Apache Kibble
https://kibble.apache.org/
The live demo uses ASF data.

The mirror network makes download stats tricky.

We can get Maven central stats via repository.a.o

In terms of whether a report has value, more insight into the community is good. The users mailing list is an incredibly small proportion of the active Tomcat users. Anything that provides us with a better understanding of the wider community can only help. I'd be particularly interested in things we could do to broaden our reach. That may well create some interesting debate on how to best do that.

Mark