All,

On 12/11/21 03:18, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 10/12/2021 22:17, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
A customer brought this to my attention:

https://www.randori.com/blog/cve-2021-44228/

I have no idea how (or if) Tomcat is affected. I have only the vaguest idea what this vulnerability even *is.*

Can anybody here shed any light?

Currently supported Tomcat versions (8.5.x, 9.0.x, 10.0.x and 10.1.x) have no dependency on log4j.

+1

Applications may have a dependency on log4j.

+1

-Dlog4j2.formatMsgNoLookups=true

This feature should have been disabled by default in the first place. :/

I have a few other comments for everyone who is losing their fscking minds over this:

0. This isn't a 0-day, so stop calling it that.

1. Calm down. This isn't fscking heartbleed.

2. If you are using a recent Java version, you are fine. Remote classloading of the type being used in these attacks was disabled by default in Java 8u121[1] and similar-era (2017, people!) JREs.

2. Why is *anyone* allowing arbitrary outbound LDAP connections from their servers? I'm honestly very confused and astounded that this is a problem for network servers *at all* because any idiot should have this in their firewall configuration:

OUTBOUND 389 -> DROP
OUTBOUND 636 -> DROP

In fact, everyone should have THIS:

OUTBOUND [stuff I actually use] -> ALLOW
OUTBOUND * -> DROP

The fact that this is causing "major problems" for the world is down to one of two things:

1. There isn't actually any major problem at all
2. Admins everywhere don't actually know anything about security

-chris

[1] https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/8u121-relnotes.html