For debugging purposes I downloaded the zip-version of Tomcat 10.0.18 and start
it up using
%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\startup.bat.

This will create by default a separate process (terminal, commandline window)
in which Tomcat runs
and dispatches all output including stdout and stderr output into that window.

By contrast the Windows service installation would redirect stdout and stderr
by default to
%CATALINA_HOME%\logs\ using "tomcat10-stderr.yyy-mm-dd.log" and
"tomcat10-stdout.yyyy-mm-dd.log" as
their name. The same would be desired for the "startup.bat" version of Tomcat
10.

Searched <https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-10.0-doc/logging.html> and
<https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-10.0-doc/setup.html> to no avail. Searching
the Internet the best
I could find
was
<https://serverfault.com/questions/252934/how-to-redirect-tomcat-console-log-to-files-tomcat-started-via-windows-bat>
which indeed redirects the Tomcat startup information to
%CATALINA_HOME%\logs\catalina.yyyy-mm-dd.log, but not stdout and stderr which
do not get redirected.
Using redirections directly in "startup.bat" or "catalina.bat" as suggested
further down in the
serverfault.com did not yield the desired redirection.

Probably I have been doing something wrong in the past hours and not seeing the
forest for the trees
anymore I kindly request help: what is needed to successfully redirect stderr
and stdout to
%CATALINA_HOME%\logs after unzipping Tomcat 10 and starting it on Windows using
%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\startup.bat?

TIA for any help/pointer!

---rony