Hi all,

The Tomcat developers would like to add a limit on cluster message size to provide some protection against OOME / DoS risks.

Note: This would be a hardening measure. Clustering is designed to be operated over a secure, trusted network where it is assumed messages are not malicious.

The intention is to set the default limit high enough that the significant majority of cluster users won't be impacted but low enough to be beneficial if an excessively large message is received.

Our (educated) guess on a sensible default limit for a cluster message is 1MB. Before implementing this limit, we wanted to request feedback from the user community. So, if you use Tomcat's clustering, what would be a reasonable default per message size limit for your use case?

As I typed this, a further thought occurred to me. We could initially implement this as a soft limit that just logs a warning / request to post to this list if a message exceeds the limit. Is that worth doing?

Thanks,

Mark