Kim Albee wrote:
The box has 4GB of RAM on it, and has experienced a memory failure.  We
tested the physical RAM on the server, and it failed 2 extended memory
tests, so we replaced the RAM.  We also saw that the swap space was only at
1.5GB, so we upped that to 6.5 GB.

For most real-time client serving applications using any swap space to service any part of those requests is counter productive.

It only makes sense if you are using the swap as some form of data backing store, but then you have to ask why not just leave it in a file anyway. The most natural backing store.

so my question is:  how do I read/interpret the hs_err_pid11598.log file so
I can figure out what is happening here?

First have you found the file ? Its usualy in the current working directory of the JVM.

find / -name "hs_err_pid11598.log" 2>/dev/null

Darryl