On 22/06/2022 10:18, Stephane Passignat wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to understand this CVE and EncryptInterceptor.

So far my understanding is EncryptInterceptor is used in clustered environment. Am I right ?

Reading the content of the commit and release content, that's only look like a documentation issue. Are there really any DDOS weakness ?

Yes, there is a DoS issue. If you use the EncryptInterceptor on an untrusted network then it is possible for an attacker to mount a DoS attack on the Tomcat instances in the network.

The documentation change was to make clear that it wasn't safe to do this.

If we implement message size limits for cluster messages then an appropriate message limit along with the EncryptInterceptor should be safe (but I can't be certain as we haven't implemented and tested it).

Mark