Hi Chris,

I honestly don't care if they are in catalina.out, /var/log/messages, or a file
named 'awesomestuff.log' - I just know that things are MISSING.

Let me be more specific - sorry if I'm not being clear here!

Normal operation (running via systemd) - I get Tomcat startup/shutdown, and
some other info in catalina-YYYY-MM-DD.log.  I don't get the debug information
for opensaml.

When I start via startup.sh directly - a lot more is being logged to
catalina.out than anywhere else I have been able to find.

I tried starting Tomcat without using systemd by just doing the following - but
still no catalina.out.
/opt/tomcat/latest/bin/jsvc \
            -Dcatalina.home=${CATALINA_HOME} \
            -Dcatalina.base=${CATALINA_BASE} \
            -Djava.awt.headless=true \
            -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager \

-Djava.util.logging.config.file=${CATALINA_BASE}/conf/logging.properties \
            -Dlog4j2.FormatMsgNoLookups=true \
            -cp
${CATALINA_HOME}/bin/commons-daemon.jar:${CATALINA_HOME}/bin/bootstrap.jar:${CATALINA_HOME}/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
 \
            -pidfile ${CATALINA_PID} \
            -java-home ${JAVA_HOME} \
            -user tomcat \
            $CATALINA_OPTS \
            org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap

I ended up temporarily just starting via startup.sh just long enough to get the
error logs I was looking for into catalina.out - then started it up again
normally.

Sorry to bother everyone with this - but I appreciate your assistance!