From: Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2022 4:10 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Question about windows servers support platform for Tomcat 7 and
Tomcat 9

On 21/09/2022 08:03, Terry ST SY/OGCIO wrote:
> Dear Support,
>
> We are using Tomcat 7 with Windows Server 2012 R2 at our servers and planned
> to upgrade tomcat and windows platform.
>
> Can you update us the windows support platform for Tomcat 7 and Tomcat 9 for
> our ease planning.

Apache Tomcat 7 reached end of life 18 months ago and is no longer
supported:

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-70-eol.html

Apache Tomcat 9.0.x is currently supported and, based on support periods for
previous versions, I'd expect that support to last for a further 4-5 years. The
end of life date, when decided, will be announced with at least 12 months
notice.

Apache Tomcat 9 is a special case since it is the last version that implements
Java EE (Tomcat 10 onwards implement Jakarta EE). The Tomcat community expects
to provide support for Tomcat 9 for as long as there is a demand for a version
of Tomcat that supports Java EE.

The exact detail of how extended Tomcat 9 support will work is TBD but it will
be something like once Tomcat 9.0.x reaches end of life, Tomcat 9.10.x will be
released which will be Tomcat 10 but with Java EE support. Once Tomcat 10
reaches end of life, so will 9.10.x and 9.11.x will be released which will be
Tomcat 11 but with Java EE support and so on.

Apache Tomcat is supported on any Windows platform currently supported by
Microsoft.

Mark