George,

> We are making use of NTLM to obtain the user credentials from the OS in
> order to provide single-signon. We successfully implemented this on Apache
> Tomcat 5. However, we are noticing that the localhost_log<timestamp>.txt is
> reporting the following Exception very frequently. Although it is not
> affecting the application, it is still annoying.
>
> Do you have any idea?
>
> Thank you very much
>
> 2006-07-19 07:46:58 StandardWrapperValve[jsp]: Servlet.service() for
> servlet jsp threw exception
> java.lang.IllegalStateException
>       at
> org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteResponseFacade.sendRedirect(CoyoteResponseFacade.java:352)

This exception is often thrown when you try to send a redirect after
writing some text out to the output stream. Is it possible that you are
using a JSP that has a lot of logic at the top, some output, and then a
conditional <jsp:redirect> tag or something like that?

Usually, there's a message along with the IllegalStateException that
says something like "cannot redirect after response has been committed"
or some such, so this might not actually be the problem.

Check it out, though; it could save you a lot of time looking for other
problems.

-chris