On 2/11/23 08:17, Thad Humphries wrote:
Finally I profiled our Java utility with VisualVM, all on
my Mac Mini, and quickly found a leak from java.util.zip. This was a
surprise because we were not using java.util.zip anywhere, nor could I find
any reference to java.util.zip when I looked at the code of the few open
source libraries we were using.

The jar format is a zipfile with a particular directory structure.

Which means that unless the application has no jars and exists as ONLY extracted .class files, java.util.zip is going to be used behind the scenes.

Interesting that it would create a continual memory leak, though. I guess your evidence means that it is the jar file, not the files included in the jar, which are mmapped by Java.

Thanks,
Shawn