On 16/03/2023 04:01, LANDER Tim wrote:
Hi, I've noticed that service.bat and Tomcat.exe (Actually all exe's:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/blob/6de806a21adc68a23aa4043c67c0d80bbab1c458/build.xml#L2825-L2828)
 are excluded from the tomcat maven artefact (org.apache.tomcat:tomcat). What's
the reason for this? I couldn't find it documented anywhere.

That is the platform neutral zip distro, so the Windows specific files are excluded. The Windows specific distributions are created by the target that follows that.

This makes it a bit annoying trying to add tomcat to a (Windows) installer. I
know I can download and extract those files from
archieve.apache.org, but it makes automating this process unnecessarily
annoying.

It looks to be possible to add the Windows specific binaries. They'll need their own artifact IDs - something like "tomcat-windows-x86" and "tomcat-windows-x64" - but the rest of the necessary plumbing is already in place.

Please open an enhancement request if you'd like to see this in Tomcat. If you want to provide a patch as well, even better.

Mark