On 21/03/2023 09:17, Holger Klawitter wrote:
Hi there,

I am investigating an encoding problem in the compiler for tag files:

the following tag file (WEB-INF/tag/umlaut.tag):

<%@tag
   trimDirectiveWhitespaces="true"
   pageEncoding="UTF-8"
%>
<%= "ü does not work" %> // bytes c3 bc

(the file is in utf-8)

compiles into umlaut_tag.java in which the umlaut is doubly utf-8 encoded
like this:

       out.print( "ü does not work" ); // bytes c3 83 c2 bc

String literals in jsp files work just fine, so I assume that the basic
encoding setup is correct.

Is this a jasper problem?

Looks like it at this point.

Where can I report this (which component in bz)?

Jasper.

Or am I missing some peculiarities regarding tags files?

Nothing comes to mind although it is a while since I delved into the details of tag files. If you create the bug with the simplest example that creates the problem someone will take a look.

Mark