Joel,

On 6/19/23 15:28, Joel Griffith wrote:
I found a workaround that I'll post here in case anyone with the same
problem stumbles on this thread.  The fix is to install the older
`libeclipse-jdt-core-java` JDT package from the Ubuntu 20.04 repo.

1. Add the line `deb http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal main
universe` to the end of `/etc/apt/sources.list`.

2. Update Apt ($ sudo apt update)

3. Install the old version of the package, specifying the older version:
     $ sudo apt install libeclipse-jdt-core-java=3.18.0+eclipse4.12-1
Apt should identify this as a `DOWNGRADE` operation automatically, so
there's no worry about conflicting package versions.

4. Hold this package back from further updates so that apt-upgrade doesn't
return it to the newer `3.27.0+eclipse4.21-1` version:
     $ sudo apt-mark hold libeclipse-jdt-core-java

I don't know enough about apt to know what this will do, perhaps you do.

I wouldn't do this "apt hold" unless it will allow patch updates to be applied. If it only holds the major and minor release for the package, then go for it. But if it sticks to that exact version, this may be a security problem.

Apologies for the noise if there's no risk, here, but a lot of "recommendations" you find on the internet have lots of unspoken caveats.

-chris