According to the configurations you posted, the full path of your login servlet is /smsinfo/smsinfo/login. I doubt that was what you were really after. The URL mapping in web.xml is relative to the webapp, not the root.

Also, if this is tomcat 5.x, you should put your <Context> definition in it's own xml file in conf/Catalina/localhost. Context definitions in server.xml is discouraged in newer tomcat versions.

--David

aladdin wrote:

I had this all working with some basic jsp pages and a (one) servlet.  I went
to continue to build on my application, and all of a sudden, it broke again.

I changed a lot of code (html, jsp, and java), but none of the configuration
files,
I don't think (but, you know how that goes).  All of a sudden, it can't find the
"requested resource".  It gets through apache (so I'm assuming the workers
stuff is OK), and the message comes from tomcat.  The problem starts on a
jsp login page where the germane element is:

<form name="loginForm" method="post" action="/smsinfo/login">
   <!--           rest of stuff in form                  -->
</form>

Here is the germane part of the server.xml file:

     <Host name="localhost" appBase="/var/www/webapps"
      unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

        <Context path="/smsinfo"
                 docBase="smsinfo"
                 crossContext="true"
                 reloadable="true">

            <Resource name="jdbc/smsinfo" auth="Container"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"
                       maxActive="20" maxIdle="5" maxWait="10000" username="anw"
                       password="anw111" driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"

url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/smsinfo?autoReconnect=true"/>
       </Context>

     </Host>

Here is the web.xml file:
---------------------------------

<!DOCTYPE web-app
   "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

<web-app>

 <!-- First, let's define the servlets and their mappings -->
 <!-- User authentication and validation -->
 <servlet>
     <servlet-name>login</servlet-name>
     <servlet-class>UserConfig.login</servlet-class>
 </servlet>
 <servlet-mapping>
     <servlet-name>login</servlet-name>
     <url-pattern>/smsinfo/login</url-pattern>
 </servlet-mapping>

</web-app>

The login class in question is located in
/var/www/webapps/smsinfo/WEB-INF/classes/UserConfig/login.class.

This whole directory thing and where to find stuff with tomcat and apache
is getting very frustrating.

Thanks for any help!
anw