Mark,

On 7/13/23 08:08, Mark Thomas wrote:
12 Jul 2023 11:08:23 CHILUKA BHARATH <chbharath...@gmail.com>:

Hi Team,

The latest Apache Taglibs(
https://tomcat.apache.org/download-taglibs.cgi#Standard-1.2.5) jar classes
using javax.servlet.* packages.

Do we have any information w.r.t supporting Jakarta when using this
specific jar ?

If not, is there any plan to release new jars by migrating javax references
to jakarta in Apache Taglibs ?.

Just run them through the Tomcat migration tool for Jakarta EE. Tomcat 10 did that for the examples web application.

No plans I am aware of for a new release.

While this will indeed work, I think it's reasonable for the Tomcat team to produce an official release which supports Jakarta EE... but only if it's a project that we really want to continue to support.

As Thomas points-out, Glassfish has their own JSTL implementation and I think probably most people already use that.

Is it time to retire Tomcat JSTL? I think we should make a decision one way or the other and then take proper action. That either means moving Tomcat-taglibs to the Attic or producing a new version for the Jakarta EE era.

There are far too many OSS projects out there saying "yeah Jakarta EE is coming but nobody is using it yet so we won't bother to release a compatible library until adoption is up." The the trick is that adoption is slow precisely because all these dependencies won't move first.

-chris