I would like to write a filter that accesses a client certificate attached
to the servlet request without using a proxy server. And after three weeks
of searching, I'm beginning to feel like it is not possible. Because every
article I've found assumes the request was forwarded from a proxy server.

So my questions are: Is it even possible? If it is, can someone point me in
the right direction? Also, if it is possible, but strongly discouraged for
security reasons, let me know that as well. I am not adverse to using a
proxy server, especially if it is considered a "best practice".

Thanks in advance
Robert Egan
--
*VSolvit LLC*, *CMMI (Level 3), ISO 9001, ISO 20000-1, ISO 27001*
*1305 Executive Blvd. Ste. 160 | Chesapeake | VA | 23320*

*VSolvit (We*Solve*it) *is an award winning technology services company
that specializes in the areas of Geographic Information Systems and IT
application development / database integration.

*Cyber-security ~ Cloud Computing ~ GIS ~ Business Intelligence ~ Data
Warehousing.*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:* This communication, including attachments, is for
the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately
by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.