On 02/10/2023 09:35, Leonard wrote:
Hi,

I am debugging a performance issue related to sending binary WebSocket messages
using Tomcat (embed/Spring Boot) 10.1.4 on Java 20 and MacOS 13.5.2.

For this I try to disable compression ("PerMessageDeflate") when sending
messages.
The solution described here https://stackoverflow.com/a/30148633/7198739 does not work
anymore, because the option "DISABLE_BUILTIN_EXTENSIONS" was removed some
versions ago.

Is there any alternative method to disable "PerMessageDeflate" in the current
version of Tomcat? Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.

In order of likely simplicity:

1. Don't request PerMessageDeflate in the client.

2. Use a custom ServerEndpointConfig.Configurator, override
   getNegotiatedExtensions() and return an empty / edited list.

3. Add a Filter *before* WsFilter and change / remove the HTTP header
   Sec-WebSocket-Extensions

Mark