Hello,
I am testing an environment with a load balancer and two machines that host
tomcat. The two machines should really be identical, and no tomcat cluster
is configured (no sessions are shared between the tomcats).

I would like to put the tomcat installation (catalina_home) in a shared
directory and have both tomcat use it. In a test installation I only have
some problems with log files, since they are shared and the tomcats write
concurrently to the same files, overlapping their text.

I set the property java.util.logging.config.file to a per tomcat properties
file, and this works for some of the files, but not for all. In fact, at
least the AccessLogValve does not have any way to specify a different
directory for each host, i.e., adding the hostname in the path.

So, these are my questions: is this way of sharing tomcat_home a viable
solution? Are there any way to store all log files in separate directories
based on the hostname or the ip address or a java parameter (using -D... on
the command line)? Is there a way to change log locking/buffering in a way
that written text does not overlap when two tomcats write concurrently?

Thank you,
Giuseppe