Jun,

On 12/15/23 08:56, Jun Suzuki wrote:
2023年12月15日(金) 20:37 Rémy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>:

On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 11:54 AM Jun Suzuki <junsuzuki1...@gmail.com> wrote:

Rémy
Thank you so much for your support.
May I confirm a little bit further regarding your reply.

2023年12月15日(金) 17:08 Rémy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>:

On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 4:18 AM Jun Suzuki <junsuzuki1...@gmail.com> wrote:

(1) Guidance is not so clear about following points:
Should I copy the deployed application(with or without war file?) from
existing Tomcat server webapps directory, to webapps directory of
$TOMCAT_STUFFED?
Should I copy all the files from conf directory of existing Tomcat
server, to conf directory of $TOMCAT_STUFFED?

Yes.
When building your image, you have to compile all the classes into it.
So that means all the classes of the webapp as well. So if you don't
copy your webapp for the script to compile, no webapp classes ... Also
all the webapp Java classes and JARs will have to be included in the
image as well for annotation scanning.

Is it correct that following source from existing Tomcat Server needed
to be copied into $TOMCAT_STUFFED?
A.  All files under conf folder (including war file)
B.  All files under webapps folder
C.  How about lib folder? Should it also be copied?
D.  How about java source code(which are not deployed on Tomcat)

The doc is correct, so just use that:
- Copy config files from conf (obvious)
- Webapps go in webapps (unless the host appBase is something else)
And that's it.

(2) On the step of execution of "$JAVA_HOME/bin/java -Dcatalina.base=.
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=conf/logging.properties -jar
target/tomcat-stuffed-1.0.jar --catalina -generateCode src/main/java",
errors messages show as below:
Can't load log handler "1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler"
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler
         at
java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:641)
         at
java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:188)
         at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:526)

Yes, avoid the juli file handlers. There's a jul file handler I think:
java.util.logging.FileHandler

I revised the source code by deleting "import java.util.*", and I
recompiled the java source and copied the war file into
$TOMCAT_STUFFED.
However, the error message remains:
Can't load log handler "1localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler"
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 1localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler
Can't load log handler "2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler"
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler

Use stuff from java.util.logging instead if juli doesn't work for you.
Or change the pom to add it. Juli makes things more complex with
Graal, so the pom doesn't have it.
As explained in the doc, the pom needs to be edited for needed dependencies.

15-Dec-2023 10:35:47.580 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of
web application directory
[/home/opc/project/tomcat-native/stuffed/webapps/ROOT] has finished in
[215] ms
15-Dec-2023 10:35:47.580 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of
web application directory
[/home/opc/project/tomcat-native/stuffed/webapps/ROOT] has finished in
[215] ms
15-Dec-2023 10:35:47.583 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler
["http-nio-8080"]
15-Dec-2023 10:35:47.583 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler
["http-nio-8080"]

Since the error messages are showing as above and the process is
hanging on there, I could not proceed with the step of the next "maven
package" unless I open another terminal to run maven command.
Do you have any idea about how to fix this error?

Well, there's no error there, so it's fine. The process is to generate
reflection metadata for your webapp depending on what it needs, so you
need to write a script that exercises all your paths in your webapp
[that would use reflection]. It's kind of like using your webapp
testsuite there. Once that is done, you should shutdown Tomcat as
usual, the metadata has been generated by the agent.
That is explained here:
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/graal.html#Native_image_configuration

Then you can move on to
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/graal.html#Building_the_native_image

Rémy

Thank you  Rémy for your detailed explanation.
So from your explanation, I understand following command will start
Tomcat server with tracing agent enabled, and then by accessing all
the paths from webapps will generate necessary metadata for native
image:
$JAVA_HOME/bin/java\
         -agentlib:native-image-agent=config-output-dir=$TOMCAT_STUFFED/target/\
         -Dorg.graalvm.nativeimage.imagecode=agent\
         -Dcatalina.base=.
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=conf/logging.properties\
         -jar target/tomcat-stuffed-1.0.jar --catalina -useGeneratedCode

But I hope to understand, before that step, there is one more step to
run following command, and what's the purpose of this command? Does
this command also start Tomcat? It appears that it only generates some
necessary code, so should I simply need to terminate this command to
stop Tomcat?
$JAVA_HOME/bin/java\
         -Dcatalina.base=.
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=conf/logging.properties\
         -jar target/tomcat-stuffed-1.0.jar --catalina -generateCode
src/main/java

When you are finished with this process, please consider submitting a documentation patch/PR to help clarify all the things you didn't understand about the process.

Jean-Frederic and Remy are primarily the ones who have written and used this, and they very much understand everything under the covers.

You, coming from the outside, have a good perspective for how "outsiders" will use this, and any improvements you can make to the documentation will be helpful to others trying to do the same thing.

-chris