On 19/12/2023 12:32, Kaluva S wrote:
Hi,
We are planning to migrate from tomcat 9.0.x to Tomcat 10.1.x but want to
know about EOL  for both the releases. On the official tomcat website, we
couldn't find any information about this.
If anyone knows, please share so that we will plan accordingly.

There are currently no firm EOL dates for either 9.0.x or 10.1.x.

Based on past experience, 9.0.x is likely to be EOL some time around 31 March 2027 and 10.1.x is likely to be EOL some time around 31 March 2030.

However those dates are driven by the expected stability dates of Tomcat 12 and Tomcat 13 (neither of which have even been started yet) and which in turn depend on the release dates for Jakarta EE 12 and Jakarta EE 13 which also have not been started. So the dates above really are just a best guess at this point.

Further, since 9.x is the last branch to support Java EE, it is our intention to continue 9.x support beyond the 9.0.x EOL. The current expectation is that there would be a 9.10.x release branch that would track 10.1.x with the minimal changes required to implemented to Java EE API rather than the Jakarta EE API.

When 10.1.x reaches EOL so will 9.10.x which would then be replaced by 9.11.x which would track 11.0.x. And so on for as long as there was (sufficient) demand for Java EE support. Sufficient is deliberately subjective. It will depend on the level of demand and the effort required. As volunteers, there is only so long we can support things for.

Mark