Aryeh,

a general advice: The current Tomcat ports on FreeBSD are a bit unfortunate
since they don't motivate to use separate catalina bases. I do not recommend
using it as-is. Leverage the multi-instance options provided by its rc script
to split out and the do:
> tomcat_{name}_enable="YES"
> tomcat_{name}_catalina_user="your-user"
> tomcat_{name}_catalina_base="/your/path"
> tomcat_{name}_umask="0027"

I do *not* recommend to spill your deployment into CATALINA_HOME [1]
I have discussed this once briefly with the port maintainer, but simply didn't
have the time to work on a tomcatX-split port.

Michael

[1]
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/blob/4430a994eea5d6b2ed84c940963788069d6fd1d6/www/tomcat9/Makefile#L42