Chuck,

On 6/7/24 10:02, Chuck Caldarale wrote:

On Jun 7, 2024, at 08:11, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
wrote:

On 6/7/24 01:49, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 06/06/2024 18:48, Dave Breeze wrote:
Thanks Mark
appreciate that the url was for 8.0

With regards to classpath that was my first attempt - unfortunately it
would seem that Tomcat does not support wildcards in the classpath -
for example dirpath/lib/*.jar - at least in version 9.
The requirements for setting the class path are set by the JVM, not by Tomcat.
If you want all the JARs in a directory to be included in the class path then
you should add dirpath/lib/* to the class path.

I think you'd have to specifically mention every .jar file in that directory in
the classpath, right? I've never known Java to bother resolving glob patterns
on its own. This is usually the responsibility of the command shell.

As Mark stated, you can use an asterisk appended to a directory path in the
CLASSPATH value to add all of the jars in that directory to the classpath.
(It’s been that way since Java 6.) This works even without shell expansion. For
example,

     java -cp mylib/* ClassName

does use shell expansion, but will fail if there is more than one file in
mylib, since the shell doesn’t generate path separators.

These constructs:

     java -cp .:mylib/* ClassName        [works in bash, zsh will complain]
     java -cp ‘mylib/*’ ClassName

do not use shell expansion, since a Linux/UNIX shell is put off by the colon or
apostrophes.

TIL

-chris