Hi,

I once had a similar experience when the tomcat process
ran out of file handles. At some point tomcat wasn't able to
open a file and cached the absence of that file. Later on tomcat
still remembered the absence and threw errors just like yours.

--
Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards
  Holger Klawitter