I think I found the issue.  This is totally my mistake...

When I had deployed the web application, I had it in a folder
(www.site).  Yet, when I created the Tomcat instance, I named that
www.site.com.  I think that was my issue.  It does realize that it's
from the same web app, but I had naming conflicts, and therefore it was
confused.

Lesson:  Just make sure that the naming convention used is consistent.