On 7/25/06, David Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

OOzy Pal wrote:

> On 7/25/06, Martin Gainty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> All Tomcat installations come with startup.<sh/bat> and
>> shutdown.<sh/bat> located in $TOMCAT_HOME/bin
>> run the startup.<sh/bat> first in some sort of console (xterm...) and
>> note the errors
>> e.g. If it cant find $JAVA_HOME it will output debug messages to
>> screem saying so
>>
>> When and only when your install has been running reliably well for
>> some time
>> place startup script in init.d
>> M-
>> This email message and any files transmitted with it contain
>> confidential
>> information intended only for the person(s) to whom this email
>> message is
>> addressed.  If you have received this email message in error, please
>> notify
>> the sender immediately by telephone or email and destroy the original
>> message without making a copy.  Thank you.

Take a look at the shell script used to start the service
(/etc/init.d/tomcat5) and see how it determines the JDK.  Is it honoring
the JAVA_HOME environment variable or digging around on it's own for
something else?

--David

David,

THAAANK YOU so much. Finally, tomcat5 is working.

I added "echo $JAVA_HOME" to init.d/tomcat5 script to make sure that
the script is honoring  my $JAVA_HOME and you are right, It was
digging for its own.

Then I added:
JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/" to the script and BANG it worked.

Now when I do "http://localhost:8180/"; I get an HTTP Status 500 - error

-----ERROR--------
type Exception report

message

it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:520)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:295)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
        sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

        org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil$1.run(SecurityUtil.java:243)
        java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        javax.security.auth.Subject.doAsPrivileged(Subject.java:517)
        org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.execute(SecurityUtil.java:272)

org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.doAsPrivilege(SecurityUtil.java:161)

root cause

java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/var/lib/tomcat5/work/Catalina/localhost/_/org/apache/jsp/index_jsp.java
(No such file or directory)
        java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
        java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:179)
        java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:70)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:188)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:495)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:476)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:464)

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:511)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:295)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
        sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

        org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil$1.run(SecurityUtil.java:243)
        java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        javax.security.auth.Subject.doAsPrivileged(Subject.java:517)
        org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.execute(SecurityUtil.java:272)

org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.doAsPrivilege(SecurityUtil.java:161)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache
Tomcat/5.0 logs.

--
OOzy
Kubuntu-Dapper