From: Edward Hibbert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 1:26 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Response time banding

Odd one, this.  I'm posting looking for off the wall suggestions.
Though not too off the wall, please.

We have an application running under Tomcat.  If we analyse the response
times as measured by the access log, then we see that for the same GET
operation there is a distribution of response times.  Well, you'd expect
that.

But while the bulk of response times are below about 0.25 seconds (in most
cases considerably below), there is a banding effect where we get a cluster
of response times around 2 seconds, and another cluster around 5 seconds,
with little or no values in between.

We've looked at garbage collection as the most likely source of this, and
ruled it out.  Has anyone seen anything similar, or got any bright ideas?

Regards,

Edward.