Trawick,

> I do check the firewall, yes it was on.  It has the option of adding
> exceptions to allow programs/service to connect to the machine.  So I
> added SQL server 2000 on port 1433.

This probably shouldn't have mattered, since you mentioned that
everything is running on the local machine. The firewall usually won't
interfere with localhost->localhost communications.

> I did netstat -an on command prompt to see active connection... but
> port 1433 is not listed.  I also used sysinternals.org as suggested
> and SQL Server is not listed. This might mean SQL Server is not using
> TCP/IP on port 1433???

I'm not sure about SQL Server, but some DBs like MySQL allow localhost
communication through some means /other than/ TCP (MySQL uses a named
pipe on the filesystem -- not an option in win32 AFAIK).

Anyhow, is it possible that TCP/IP communication is not enabled? This
would suggest otherwise:

> I checked Client Network Utility service for SQL server 2000 and saw
> that TCP/IP is enabled on port 1433.

Does that mean that SQL Server is expecting to accept connections on
1433? I assume so.

Stupid question: is SQL Server actually running?

-chris