Hi,

I'm new to this list.  Apologies if my question is
naive or insufficiently researched.  I have spent
some time searching the web and these mail archives,
but I haven't come across this problem.

My company is upgrading our product to use Tomcat
4.1.31 (from 4.1.29).  I have found that when I
do a clean install of Tomcat 4.1.31 the installer
fails to do a couple of things that 4.1.29 used to do:

1) There is no entry for Apache Tomcat in the Windows
   Control Panel Add or Remove programs list.

2) There are several files missing from the conf directory
   C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\conf\
   In fact, the only file that does get installed there
   is server.xml.  These five files are missing:

   catalina.policy
   jk2.properties
   server-noexamples.xml.config
   tomcat-users.xml
   web.xml

Since we are installing tomcat as one of several
3rd party products in our own windows installer,
we install in silent mode:
jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31-LE-jdk14.exe /S /D=<our install dir>

I tested by running the tomcat installer from a
DOS prompt:
d:\tmp\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31-LE-jdk14.exe /S

When I run with the /S option I have both problems.
When I run the installer with no options, neither
problem occurs.

When I install tomcat 4.1.29
d:\tmp\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29-LE-jdk14.exe /S
neither problem occurs.

I can copy the files over myself if I have to, but I
don't know how to work around the control panel
add/remove programs problem.

I have the Java 2 SDK 1.4.2_12 installed.
I am testing/developing on Windows XP SP2.

Is this a known issue?  Is there an install log I should
be looking at for diagnostic purposes?  Any suggestions,
explanations, or workarounds would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric