Chris,
  I remembered seeing something about this when I downloaded tomcat,
and managed to find this in the RUNNING.txt.

Advanced Configuration - Multiple Tomcat Instances

In many circumstances, it is desirable to have a single copy of a Tomcat
binary distribution shared among multiple users on the same server.  To make
this possible, you can pass a "-Dcatalina.base=$CATALINA_BASE" argument when
executing the startup command (see (2)). In this
"-Dcatalina.base=$CATALINA_BASE" argument, replace $CATALINA_BASE with the
directory that contains the files for your 'personal' Tomcat instance.

When you use this "-Dcatalina.base=$CATALINA_BASE" argument, Tomcat will
calculate all relative references for files in the following directories based
on the value of $CATALINA_BASE instead of $CATALINA_HOME:

* conf - Server configuration files (including server.xml)

* logs - Log and output files

* shared - For classes and resources that must be shared across all web
          applications

* webapps - Automatically loaded web applications

* work - Temporary working directories for web applications

* temp - Directory used by the JVM for temporary files (java.io.tmpdir)

If you do not pass the "-Dcatalina.base=$CATALINA_BASE" argument to the
startup command, $CATALINA_BASE will default to the same value as
$CATALINA_HOME,
which means that the same directory is used for all relative path resolutions.

The administration and manager web applications, which are defined in the
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/localhost/admin.xml
and
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/localhost/manager.xml files, will
not run in that configuration, unless either:
- The path specified in the docBase attribute of the Context element is made
 absolute, and replaced respectively by $CATALINA_HOME/server/webapps/admin
 and $CATALINA_HOME/server/webapps/manager
- Both web applications are copied or moved to $CATALINA_BASE,
 and the path specified in the docBase attribute of the Context
 element is modified appropriately.
- Both web applications are disabled by removing
 $CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/localhost/admin.xml
 and
 $CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/localhost/manager.xml.

However, I do not see anything regarding mod_jk in the txt. When
setting up multiple instances, do I need to have mod_jk on different
ports? Do I need to specify different Connector elements in the
different server.xml files? Each one pointing to a different port?

Thanks again for all the help,
Eric

--
Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.