Ramdas,

JConsole or any JMX tool would just give you a slightly more information. I
am not sure how much more helpful it would be.

With JConsole you would be able to look at the memory usage, heap stats,
connector information, database pool sizes, etc. and with that information
you would possibly get closer to the root cause of the problem.

I actually developed a custom valve that queries the MBeans (you do not need
to enable JMX port for that) directly from Tomcat and prints the essential
statistics every time Tomcat receives the request.

Regards,
Edmon Begoli
http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/software

Since this is an application in production, i cannot add in any
instrumentation to enable JConsole or JMX information. What i have
currently to work with is the Tomcat status at page
http://<server>:8009/status/status and that has information like :
jk-8009 Max threads: 400 Min spare threads: 375 Max spare threads: 375

But looking at these stats, one cannot make out if the threads are
actually
busy servicing requests or are they in keepalive state and the connection
between the Apache and Tomcat can be reused.

Would the JMX or JConsole give me a better picutre of the actual state of
each thread? I tried to look at the mod_jk trace logs on the Apache side
but could not decipher much to interpret if the Apache - Tomcat
connections
are being reused.

Thanks

             "Edmon Begoli"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             No Phone Info             "Tomcat Users List"
             Available                 <users@tomcat.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

             08/03/2006 08:40                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: How to identify busy Tomcat
                                       threads

             Please respond to
               "Tomcat Users
                   List"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 che.org>

Ramdas,

The most precise way is to use JConsole or other JMX client and to lookup
the maxThreads and
related properties of the 8009 jk connector.

Regards,
Edmon
http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/software