Usually you'd know it if it was. By default it isn't and has to be explicitly turned on. See http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/security-manager-howto.html for more information.

Here's a quick and dirty test -- insert a scriptlet in your jsp code something like:

<%
internet.database.SimpleUseOfConnectionPool myBean = new internet.database.SimpleUseOfConnectionPool() ;
%>

If that works, then I would say jasper is at fault somehow. If not, take a look at the generated exception for the real cause of your problem.

--David

Lars Nielsen Lind wrote:

David Smith skrev:

This may be something for a bugzilla report, but I looked at the source of org.apache.jasper.compiler.Generator. The real exception generated is eaten in favor of the very unhelpful message you received.
The possible original exceptions may have been one of:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException - the class is not in WEB-INF/classes/internet/database or a jar in WEB-INF/lib probably not your issue since it works from jsps located in the webapp's root directory.

java.lang.NoSuchMethodException - if no default constructor was found, I think you've already said one was present.

java.lang.SecurityException - if the security manager is active and denying access. Hmmm..... is tomcat running under a security manager?

--David

Mark Thomas wrote:

Lars Nielsen Lind wrote:
Here is the error-report shown in the browser:

The stack trace suggests the class cannot be instantiated. Hmm. Odd.
Can you create a simple test case that reproduces this? You won't be
able to post a war to the list so feel free to send it to me directly.

Mark

How do I check if Tomcat is running under a security manager?

Lars Nielsen Lind