Thanks for the reply Yassine.

I can now access the admin and manager pages. I got this working by
starting tomcat using the startup scripts in the /srv/tomcat/bin
directory instead of via jsvc.

The fact that I was using jsvc was probably inportant info I omitted
from my original post. My apologies.

I was trying to use jsvc to automatically start tomcat as a daemon. I
was using the 'tomcat5.sh' script that was included with the package
with some minor modification to the paths for java etc. I was sure that
this was working but this morning I rebooted and noticed that I could
not even access the tomcat welcome page. Therefore, I started tomcat
using the init.d script and was still not able to access the welcome
page. So, I ran tomcat directly from /srv/tomcat/bin. Now all is
working.

I suspect that when I thought that I was running tomcat using jsvc I
already had an instance running directly. It was this instance that was
serving the pages. As I did not restart this instance after modifying
the tomcat-users.xml it would not let me access the manager pages :)
Weak though it may be, my only defense is it was very late and I was
buggered! :)

I still want to try and use jsvc and will continue to look into what is
wrong. I have included my /etc/init.d/tomcat script here (minus
comments) in case someone can point out where it is wrong. Is there an
alternative to using jsvc to start tomcat as a daemon?

JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk
CATALINA_HOME=/srv/tomcat
DAEMON_HOME=/srv/tomcat/bin
TOMCAT_USER=tomcat5
TMP_DIR=/var/tmp
CATALINA_OPTS=-Djava.awt.headless=true
CLASSPATH=\
$JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar:\
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/commons-daemon.jar:\
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/bootstrap.jar

case "$1" in
  start)
    $DAEMON_HOME/jsvc \
    -user $TOMCAT_USER \
    -home $JAVA_HOME \
    -Dcatalina.home=$CATALINA_HOME \
    -Djava.io.tmpdir=$TMP_DIR \
    -outfile $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out \
    -errfile '&1' \
    $CATALINA_OPTS \
    -cp $CLASSPATH \
    org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap